115 State St
Montpelier, VT 05633
Online registration for Legislative Day is closed. Onsite registration is available at the event.
Legislative Day provides a unique opportunity for nonprofits and community leaders to advocate & raise awareness about the crucial role nonprofits play in supporting communities, strengthening our economy and making Vermont a better place to live.
Vermont Nonprofit Legislative Day is a unique opportunity to:
– Learn advocacy best practices from experienced lobbyists and Legislators and gain insight into current legislative issues.
– Hear from policymakers and state leaders regarding federal changes and the impact on Vermont such as tax reform.
– Inform lawmakers and state leaders about the strength and value of Vermont’s nonprofit sector and learn why your work matters.
– Network with nonprofit colleagues, funders, legislative staff and influential people in the state.
AGENDA (Please note: timing may adjust slightly due to legislator and governor schedules)
VERMONT NONPROFIT LEGISLATIVE DAY – Thursday, March 22, 2018
8:00 a.m. – Registration (Room 11) & Refreshments (Room 10)
8.45 a.m. – Welcome: Kate McGowan, Center for New Leadership (Room 11)
8:50 a.m. – Welcome to the Statehouse: Speaker of the House Mitzi Johnson
9:00 a.m. – Advocacy Matters: Vermont Legislative Update
Find out how advocates are working within this year’s legislature to improve the quality of life for all Vermonters within tight financial limitations. We’ll start with the big picture from Senate Pro Tem Tim Ashe, followed by discussion with labor, equity, and environmental advocates who’ll update you on key legislative issues and offer insight into effective advocacy strategies.
State Legislative Briefing: Senate President Pro Tem Tim Ashe (confirmed)
- Moderator: Lauren-Glenn Davitian, Common Good Vermont
- Equity Matters: Christine Longmore, Constitutional Council for Accountability with Law Enforcement Officials
- Labor Issues: David Mickenberg, Senior Strategist, Necrason Group
- Energy and the Environment: Robert Dostis, Vice President Stakeholder Relations, Green Mountain Power
- Amy Shollenberger, Principal, Action Circles
10:15 a.m. – Break, Mix, and Mingle (Refreshments: Room 10)
10:30 a.m. - Impact of Federal Policy and Budget on Vermont
As we found out in 2017, major changes in tax and other policies are on their way from Washington D.C. In this panel, national and state level leaders shed light on the consequences of federal actions and discuss actions your staff and board can take to protect the programs you deliver and the people you serve.
- Moderator: Scott Johnson, Lamoille Family Center
- Congressional View: Erica Campbell, Outreach and Policy Staff, Senator Bernie Sanders
- Tax Policy: Paul Cillo, Executive Director, Public Assets Institute
- Human Services: Jesse Bridges, Executive Director, United Way Northwestern Vermont
- Water Quality and Environmental: Lori Fisher, Executive Director, Lake Champlain Committee
- Governor’s View: Jason Gibbs, Chief of Staff, Governor Phil Scott
12:00 p.m. – Lunch (on your own) and Meet with Your Legislators
1:00 p.m. – Senate Finance Committee Testimony on Charitable Tax Credit Proposal (Room 6 – seating is limited)
1:00 p.m. – Reading of Vermont Nonprofit Day Resolution (House Chamber)
1:00 p.m. – How a Bill Becomes Law in Vermont (Room 11) Amy Shollenberger
Are you interested in learning how a bill becoming a law? Do you have a specific change you want to make? Action Circles will cover how a bill becomes law and how to advocate for your nonprofit during that process.
2:00 p.m. – Introduction to Vermont’s Budget Process (Room 11) Falko Schilling
Are you working on your organization’s budget? Do you have programming or a multi-year plan dependent on state funding? If there is a budget issue that is important to you moving through the State House, then you need help to make sure your voice is heard. Action Circles will cover how the state budget process works and how you can advocate along the way.
Register online before 12 PM Wednesday, March 21st. Limited day-of registration available.